Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Humility

[Very weird day yesterday, and once more I neglected to do my daily poem.  I hope this will be the last time this month but I had a lot on my mind.  Fortunately it's inspired me.]



Humility

by Michael Espinoza



It's been said that if you want to make the Lord laugh,
You just tell Him your plans.

I don't know if that's true in a literal sense,
But a kernel exists.

I keep getting ideas that seem to be right,
Then I find out the truth.

My ideas are good for improving the world--
At least so I think....

But the world never makes as much sense as I think,
Or as much as I want.

Look up upper division-type courses before
You commit to a major.

To be honest, the one course of action I think
Is the best one for me....

Is to work as a busker, performing on streets--
But that's on the horizon.

It's not lucrative, working for tips--plus I don't
Have the skills yet to make it.

I have talent enough, but they need to be exercised
To become good.

For my resume, also, I need a good background
Which I do not have.

It's discouraging sometimes, as old as I am--
I'm in my early thirties.

I still have no full-time employment at present.
To think of it's hard.

I will probably change my beliefs when I'm old,
But at present it bothers me....

...when I'm told that I'm still a young kid and have plenty
Of time left to me.

Of the pills you can swallow it's bitter indeed,
But I'm grateful for health.

Yes, humility's taste isn't pleasant at all,
But it is good for you.

And if you can appreciate that in the face
Of its bitterest taste....

...then that shows you are growing inside,
as the late Mister Rogers once said.

I am grateful to God and I trust He will see me
To whatever end.

I just wish that I knew what it was, so that I
Could be free to pursue it.

No comments:

Post a Comment