Thursday, April 14, 2016

Cinderella and Me

Cinderella and Me

by Michael Espinoza



Some call her "Skunk Pelt", others "Chewy Bones."
The wolf is the omega in her pack.
The night's afire with her hunger moans.
Her fur is streaked in stripes, both white and black.

I am a lowly rodent, just a mouse.
Were she not weak with hunger, I'd be caught.
Because she lacks a shelter, rains do douse
The wolf, to cause a stench like week-old rot.

I could have left her quickly to expire.
I'd then be spared a fearsome enemy
Who, weaknesses aside, bears blazing fire
In eyes, to well inspire sympathy.

"If you will fetch to me fresh meat, O mouse,
Then, for my part, when I recover strength,
I'll not eat you--nor will I even grouse--
Should you be all that's left to eat, at length."

My pity overtook me; I agreed.
Nor did I break my word, abandoning
The one depending on a mouse for feed.
I scavenged, and to her brought everything.

When this went on for months, I found, one night,
Outside my hole, a goodly pile of crumbs.
They smelled like her!  She hadn't dared to bite
While I had slept in peace, amid the hums

Of insects who began their nightly noise.
The wolf had kept her word, as she had said.
I scarcely had an appetite, for joys
That sleep had come to me, nor was I dead!

"I thank you for your kindness, little mouse,
And now that I've recovered all my strength,
I'll not eat you--nor will I even grouse--
Should you be all that's left to eat, at length."

I smiled at her, returning sentiment.
I therefore thought I'd seen the last of her.
But time soon tested if she really meant
The promise made by wolf with striped fur.

As months did pass, fresh game was scarce again.
Once more the wolf was starving, nor could I
Find anything to soothe her hunger pain.
It seemed that either she or I would die.

I could not bear to watch the lady suffer.
"I do release you from your promise made.
Eat me, and let my meat become a buffer
'twixt you and gross starvation, wolf!" I bade.

"Nay, sir," she said to me, "though I may starve,
Betrayer would I be to break my vow.
Nay, here upon the stone of death do carve
My name, for I am dying even now.

"Since you have shown me kindness, little mouse,
Though I expire, losing all my strength,
I'll not eat you--nor will I even grouse--
Though you be all that's left to eat, at length."

"Will no one help a wolf who's in distress?"
I shouted to the highest heavenly cloud.
"May she not live, and no more know the stress
Of hunger pains?" I bellowed long and loud.

As if in answer, blinding flash of light
Appeared before the two of us and took
A shape!  Amid the brilliant gleaming white,
We saw familiar form when we did look!

And there, before our eyes, as white as snow,
A handsome wolf appeared before us twain.
He spoke in kindly voice, both soft and low,
And licked the striped wolf where she had lain.

"Come, daughter, I will bear you hence," said he.
"To where?" said she.  "Nay, trust me only now."
"Are you the father of all wolves?" said she.
"I'm not."  He made to her a lowly bow.

She climbed atop his back, and then her bearer
Addressed me: "You shall come as well, O mouse."
"What, in your mouth?" I asked.  I did not error.
But as he let me live, how could I grouse?

He bore us thence unto a mystic place
Where there was food abundant for all kinds.
He let her off, and stood they face to face,
Then did we eat, expanding both our minds.

"I bring you here rewarding you, dear daughter,
For you show kindness and true loyalty."
In her self-sacrifice the he-wolf caught her
And in like vein, he also did catch me.

"And here is your reward," he said to us.
"No more omega wolf and mouse to be.
The mouse shall be a human man, and thus
The wolf his mate--a woman--shall she be."

No sooner had he spoken thus than I
was now a man, and she a woman was.
When I beheld her beauty--and no lie--
I felt a love as no mere rodent does.

Reward beyond this we could never hope,
For foremost rule among all beasts is this:
"Do not hurt man, nor peasant nor the Pope."
My woman shared with me a wondrous bliss.

And now it was that we were meant to be
A man and wife, to share our lives as one.
How many children would myself and she
Produce--all human--ere our lives were done?

We never saw again the wolf so white.
But happily ever after did we live.
And many great rewards to see just might
Befall you, if you only choose to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment